Friday, March 5, 2010

The 'H' is silent

Something that ticks me off is when people who claim to be either in the fashion industry or just really, really, really interested in fashion (ie, bloggers such as myself) cannot correctly pronounce major designers' names. Probably one of the first times that this started to bug me was right around the time that America's Next Top Model started up. I cannot remember the season, nor any other identifying information since it was so long ago, but I remember some challenge where the models filmed a tv short where they discussed designers, and nearly every single one of them mispronounced Hermes. I kept thinking to myself, "You want to be a major model, and you don't even know about all of these huge fashion houses?!"

Well, now that I got that little rant out of me, onto the real topic - Hermes being the connecting thread. Ah, Hermes. Several years ago, whilst helping my mom clean out a room at our country house, we stumbled upon more of my great grandmother's items, including several Hermes purses (one of which still had the ORIGINAL PRICE TAG in it). Clearly, she was obsessed with Hermes and I have no problem with since I keep stumbling upon her stuff, such as these scarves:


While packing up stuff to move to Philadelphia, I grabbed these that just so happened to be in some drawer of mine, without looking at them. I found them again in one of my drawers and decided to take a closer look at them - and boy am I glad that I did. I really had no idea that I had vintage Hermes scarves lying around in my drawer (and a Courreges scarf, too!).


It wasn't easy finding out more information on these two scarves (even more so for the Courreges; I still have no idea what date its from), but I finally found this amazing online archive of Hermes silk scarf patterns at Luxury-Scarves.
Chiens et Valets (1963) was designed by Charles-Jean Vallo.

Combats de Coqs (1954) was designed by Hugo Grygkar


Chiens et Valets is beautiful, a more traditional design for Hermes, but Combats de Coqs is just freaking gorgeous. The colors are spectacular against one another, they create a very vibrant composition - not that the composition needed more 'action':

Everyone loves having a cock fight emblazoned around their neck. Which brings up a very good question: what on earth am I going to do with these? Definitely keeping them, and I would love to wear them but I really have to figure out the best way to. My boyfriend's sister suggested framing them, which would certainly help preserve them. Someone else mentioned making pillows out of them but the thought of possibly destroying them makes me faint. But that might not be as bad a fate as ending up in one of drawers, forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment