Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mad for Mad Men Dolls

The NYT has a piece detailing the new Mad Men Barbie dolls that will be released as part of their premium Barbie Fashion Model Collection - ie, the one that's for the kids within adults. Only four characters will have dolls representing them (Don Draper, Betty, Roger Sterling, and Joan Holloway) and there will be 7,000 to 10,000 copies of each produced. These guys will retail for $74.95, and as a big fan of the TV series I'm pretty tempted to try obtaining one for myself. Except there's one teeny tiny thing that bothers me:

photo via the NYTimes.com

Where are Joan's amazingly enviable curves?! I understand that its a Barbie doll and Barbie is, well, not precisely proportionally human, but that's one thing that I love about Joan: she's fabulous AND she's the curviest woman on the show. Those hips, and don't even talk to me about her *ahem* additional features, for which I will always be jealous since I'm one of the cursed A cup ladies trying not to look either prepubescent or like a boy. Joan's doll should be as curvy as she is! She's so freaking gorgeous its just not fair! I think that Mattel could have created a special mold for her, considering how few dolls they will release, and thus created a more accurate representation.

I will say, though, that Betty's doll (and character, for that matter) seems to embody the 1950s ideal housewife motif to a T. Her doll's appearance is so perfect its kind of mesmerizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment