Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Story Time!

Sometimes, going shopping is merely about getting particular clothes; I need a blouse that will pair with that one skirt, I've grown out of my jeans (hopefully in a good way), hmm I can't wear these shoes anymore because there's a hole in the sole. But then there are the times when you score a particular item and you forever remember the story behind obtaining it.

This is definitely one of my favorite stories.

It was spring of my senior year at college and I came home to NYC one weekend for some reason that I can't remember now because it clearly wasn't that important. I always love walking around the city and hitting up my favorite places, and after ducking into Momofuku Milk Bar/Bakery I was heading back towards the subway when I decided, just for the hell of it, to see what the DSW at Union Square had in stock. I'm a shoe-aholic, so even just browsing is fun. And I'm of the opinion that no woman can have too many shoes.

I always start off at the 'designer section' on the back wall, and as I approached I noticed several pairs with an additional 80% off sign. No one else in the store is even near this section so I cautiously meander over, no expectations since its DSW of course. But then I notice what appears to be a red sole. Instantly alert, I make sure no one is looking as I carefully pick up the nearest pair. Do my eyes deceive me? I have to look twice to be certain but sure enough the red sole has given them away: LOUBOUTIN!


Of course, I grab my size in every single pair and start trying them on like mad. Its the first time I get to try on a pair of Louboutin pumps and I've been waiting for this moment my entire life. They had simple pumps in black kid leather, suede, and patent, brown suede, and navy and deep red suede platform pumps that made me look like a giraffe (but damn did I feel sexy in them!). I spent probably 20 minutes trying on all these shoes, admiring them (and me) in the mirror, and calculating how many I could buy without causing my mom to yell at me. At this point many other women have come over and started trying shoes on, noticing the frenzy I was in. We chatted with one another, recommending which ones looked best on each person, and finally I walked out of there with two pairs of black pumps, in patent and suede - kid leather wasn't in my size :(


Never underestimate what you can find at an NYC DSW.

No comments:

Post a Comment