Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Habits never change


I visited my family in NYC this past weekend and, among the many items that I discovered, the first thing that I found was this large, red leather bound book. It was sitting all alone on a table in the living room and begged to be opened - which is precisely what I did:


Turns out that this is a scrapbook that my dad made. He and a friend of his signed up for this guided tour of Europe right after their high school graduation (I know, right?! Can you believe he made this and was barely even in college yet?!).



This is exactly something that I would do; now I know where I get it from! All of the things he kept are ones that I would've too, like copies of the ship's daily program and own newspaper the 'Ocean Times,' theatre bill from seeing "Bye, Bye Birdie" in London (3rd row, center only $4.50), local maps and tickets to places, etc. My dad and I looked through it all together and he related stories connected to all of the items and pictures. It was an organized tour, mostly younger people around my dad's age so they ended up acting like average American college kids with some hilarious results. While in Naples one night, one of the guys got drunk, went around to all of the girls' rooms and ended up getting dressed in drag. Everyone thought it was a hoot, took pictures of him, and then noticed that he had disappeared. They found him walking outside on the streets with a line of cars slowly following him...that must have been quite a sight to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment